- Background Screening
- Industry Solutions
- Why Data Facts
- Client Support
- Client Login
- Applicant Support
February 27, 2013
Questions to Ask When Choosing A Background Screening Company
Share this post
Businesses have many important choices to make to ensure their success, and few are more important than choosing their background screening company. Companies that provide background checks help reduce the risk of a dangerous or unqualified hire, and help protect the assets and reputation of both large and small businesses.
While there are many hundreds of background screening companies, you must remember not all of them are created equally.
Here are 5 questions you need to ask when deciding on a background screening company.
1. Is your company an accredited company? The National Association of Background Screeners (NAPBS) awards accreditation to companies that prove the strictest of best practices and procedures. Background screeners must go through a rigorous process to prove they maintain the highest standards of operations in order to be recognized as accredited. Choosing an NAPBS accredited company ensures you are working with a top performing background screener.
2. What are your adverse action procedures? One of the biggest ways companies can get in hot water is by not following the required adverse action procedures. A credible background screener will be able to lay out exactly how the procedures should work, and their part in the role. Think twice about a company that cannot give you a detailed answer to this question.
3. How experienced is your staff? Information is only as reliable as the person gathering it, and receiving accurate, up to date information is the top goal of any background screen. Being informed about a background screener’s staff is integral in deciding on the best company. Ask if they have private investigators on staff, and how long their average employee has worked there. Ask questions about how the information is being verified. Make sure the staff working on the reports is well-qualified and experienced.
4. What services do you offer? Make certain the company offers all the services you need. You should be able to get the screening you need from one vendor.
5. What kind of customer service support do you offer? You need to know about the training you will receive on navigating their ordering system, reading the reports, and who to call with a problem or question. You should receive specific information about training, and who to contact with follow up issues. If you receive a vague answer, you may not get much customer service by choosing this company.
Utilizing a background screening company can help you hire the right person for the job and protect the safety of your workplace. Be sure to do a little investigating of your own during the decision making processso that you can be sure you are working with the best choice, and receiving the most accurate information possible.
~~Susan McCullah is the Product Development Director for Data Facts, Inc, a 23 year old Memphis based company. Data Facts Inc -an NAPBS accredited company- is a leading provider of pre-employment screening solutions. Check our our website for a complete explanation of our services.
Other posts you might be interested inView All Posts
Data Facts blog
5 Steps to Effectively Screen Top Level ExecutivesRead More
Post-Employment Screening: Why You Should Monitor Current EmployeesRead More